'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' Rehearsal Script Review - Spoilers

17:38

If you've been absent from planet Earth since June 2015 you may not be aware of the latest addition to the world of Harry Potter: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. So, for the benefit of those of you who have been living under a large rock for several months, I'll explain what this newest instalment entails.


The play - written by Jack Thorne and based on the concept by JK Rowling - is in two parts and follows Albus Severus Potter, whom you may remember from the many debates and arguments throughout the Potter fandom relating to his name. New Hogwarts student Albus, struggling with the burden of bearing the Potter name, sets out on an adventure with his best friend Scorpius Malfoy (more on him later).

I adored being given the opportunity to to revisit one of my favourite fictional worlds and see the characters I loved so much as a child have children of their own and deal with the trials of adulthood and parenthood. It was no surprise to me that Hermione had become Minister for Magic, and that Ron now ran a joke shop just like his older brothers - although I couldn't help but feel that Ron had reverted back to his role as comic sidekick after we'd seen him grow so much throughout the seven books. The use of the time turner and paintings was a wonderful way of allowing us to see characters I wasn't expecting, like Snape, Dumbledore and even Umbridge! However I would have liked to have seen more of my favourite characters from the original books. Neville was mentioned, but what is Luna up to? What about the rest of the Weasleys?

I also felt that we missed out on an opportunity to learn more about the next generation. Teddy Lupin wasn't featured at all, and James and Lily Potter and Rose Weasley - a perfect combination of her parents - we didn't see nearly enough of. Having said that I loved getting to know Albus and Scorpius. Scorpius quickly became my favourite character and he wasn't what I was expecting at all. He was wonderfully nerdy and dorky and nothing like his father. As a proud Slytherin myself, it was truly refreshing to see Slytherins in a new geeky, heroic light.

I also couldn't help but feel slightly betrayed by the extremely dark events involving the return of Voldemort considering the final line in 'The Deathly Hallows' is "All was well". And, as much as I would like to discover  more about this next generation, I really do hope all is well this time.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe