Hay Festival 2016

22:01

On the 28th May 2016 I met two of my favourite people on this planet: Patrick Ness, author of my favourite book, and Bethan Downs, one of my best and closest friends. Running across the muddy entrance of the Hay Festival to receive one of Bethan's well known bear hugs was an entire year (and one week) in the making. For so long Bethan was just this hilarious, wonderful, nerdy friend I met through Instagram. But now she is this hilarious, wonderful, nerdy friend who I have seen and hugged and had my nose booped by.  



We had tea together, shared an "Italian nougat twist", and opened our presents. We wandered round the festival arm in arm, bought books, and went to Patrick Ness' interview together with Bethan sat in between me and my mum, as you do. Patrick Ness was incredibly funny and lovely despite noticing that one of my books had been bought from a charity shop (oops). He made time to speak to us all and sign everyone's books in the insanely warm festival book tent. The fact that he was so genuine only made me love his books more. I can't imagine the disappointment that would come with  meeting the author of your favourite book only to discover they're self-centered and unfriendly. But this was not the case at all. We also saw some beautiful clips from the 'A Monster Calls' film that made me ridiculously excited for the film.  


As much as I was looking forward to meeting Patrick Ness, meeting Bethan was easily the highlight of the day. The day went so quickly. Too quickly. It took me a while to realize that I won't be seeing her again until July. That may not seem like very far away and in comparison to a whole year it really isn't that long to wait. But I really miss all the tea and hugs and nose-booping, and I can't believe we managed to survive an entire year without meeting each other! I had the best day at Hay and really hope to go back again next year.


You should 100% follow Bethan if you're not already! Her bookstagram is @fiction.and.tea and her blog is here. You can also read Bethan's post about Hay here.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe