'The Rest of Us Just Live Here' review

17:38

The first book I read by Patrick Ness was the beautiful 'A Monster Calls' which won every prize in children's fiction, and left me sobbing my eyes out like no book had ever done before. For me at least, it would be hard to top that. I wouldn't say this book quite reached the level of 'A Monster Calls' or even the brilliant 'More Than This' but it certainly does its best.

'The Rest of Us Just Live Here' is award winning Patrick Ness' latest novel and follows the story of Mikey and his friends who just want to graduate high school and get away from their claustrophobic town and their troublesome families. Easier said than done when you live in a world where "indie kids" (aka the Chosen Ones) are constantly fighting off the undead, battling vampires and just generally causing mayhem. Mikey and his friends may not be the "chosen ones" but they certainly have their fair share of struggles. From anxiety to alcoholic parents, these subjects are tackled sensitively by Ness and he manages to give a huge amount of depth to each character. Mel - Mikey's older sister - was, without doubt, my favourite character from this novel. Her relationship with her siblings could only be described as beautiful. A particular moment possibly half way through the book that demonstrates exactly why I chose her as my favourite character actually forced me to squeal "yes!" out loud. You'll know exactly what I mean when you read it.

I have to admit, I liked the concept of the book slightly more than the book itself. How many times had I been watching 'The Avengers' and thought about the economic damage and the cars of innocent civilians that had just been crushed? When I heard about this book I was extremely excited to see how Ness would explore the lives of ordinary people surrounded by these dramatic happenings we are so used to reading about. As much as I adored and chuckled at the short paragraphs at the beginning of each chapter that describe what the "indie kids" are getting up to, I couldn't help but be slightly disappointed. It's something I can't quite put my finger on, helpful I know.

That being said, I did award the novel 5/5 stars on Goodreads. The way Patrick Ness managed to turn what could have been a pretty uneventful, ordinary story into something funny and compelling astounds me. I felt an attachment to each character and could hardly put it down. If you're looking for something as incredible and thought provoking as 'A Monster Calls' or 'More Than This' you may not be so interested in this particular book, but it certainly draws you in and proves that even the most ordinary lives can be extraordinary.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Subscribe